Our focus has always been on quality, true to name products, on time delivery, competitive pricing, and the largest selection in the industry.
Amaryllis bulbs are easy to grow outside if you live in a suitable region. Amaryllis flower bulbs perform well in beds, borders, or containers outside. It’s also possible to scatter Amaryllis flower bulbs throughout the landscape. Amaryllis are excellent naturalizers. The fantastic appearance looks exceptionally attractive when they’re planted in groups. Best of all, when planted in landscape areas, Amaryllis flower bulbs are resistant to both deer and many rodents. It’s completely safe to plant bulbs in a naturalized area.
How to grow Amaryllis
Amaryllis flower bulbs aren’t hard to grow, but you have to know when and where to plant them. Plant Amaryllis bulbs together with other spring bloomers in fall. If you’re too late to plant the bulbs in the fall, wait until spring, after the chance of frost is over.
- Amaryllis bulbs like both sun and shade locations, but tolerate somewhere in between, like partial shade. Too much sunlight can lead to leaf burn, and too much shade leads to faded flowering.
- Amaryllis bulbs prefer well-drained soils. Improve the ground with organic compost or peat. Add nutrients for healthy growth.
- Plant the bulbs with 1/3 of the bulb sticking up above ground level. Space the plants 12- 15” (30-38 cm) apart. Or choose a pot that is 6-8” (15-20 cm) wide.
- After planting, water regularly, to prevent drought. Established plants are fairly tolerant of drought. Don’t overwater, to prevent root rot.
It takes 6-8 weeks to bloom after planting; some Amaryllis can take as long as ten weeks. It takes longer, but it is totally worth the wait.
At De Vroomen, we sell a lot of varying Amaryllis flower bulbs. Amaryllis are perfect cut flowers and look fantastic in a vase or in a rustic pot on the coffee table. Whether you choose to grow the Amaryllis bulbs indoors or outdoors, Amaryllis is superb and definitely steals the show. Popular Amaryllis bulbs, available in our webshop, are:
- Red Lion: this bright red Amaryllis produces large red petals and grows up to 18-24” (45-60 cm) high. The Red Lion is the ultimate Christmas Amaryllis.
- Exposure: this landscaping spring flower contains red petals with a white center and a green heart. These Amaryllis reach a height of 18-24” (45-60 cm) and bloom fantastically in pots and containers.
- Christmas Gift: this snow-white type of Amaryllis is the purest version of the Amaryllis available in our webshop. This Amaryllis produces one to three flowers per firm stem.